Current Status

This blog is not frequently updated because most case-by-case scam reports are now listed in subordinate blogs. At this point in time, most of my efforts are targeted at documenting employment scams in the Suckers Wanted blog.

2005-07-23

Meta: Public Domain

This blog is published anonymously because spammers can be vindictive bastards, and I'd rather not make it easy for them to target me. The kinds of people who write and disseminate viruses, or attempt to steal people's money by lying to them, tend not to shrink from mounting the odd denial-of-service attack or Joe Job against those who would shine a light on their schemes. I've borne the brunt of these retaliatory attacks in the past, and I've no desire to go looking for the experience again. Thus, the relative anonymity of this blog, where I am known by the nondescript handle of "Spotter".

Such anonymous publication creates an interesting problem with regards to copyright. When I decide to retire from the deception spotting and reporting game, the copyright on the posts would still belong to me, but nobody would know how to contact me in order to gain permission to reprint something. The work would effectively be trapped in copyright limbo. My goals in creating this blog are purely altruistic -- or possibly purely hostile because I despise cheating and lying. Whatever the case, I've no intention whatsoever to pursue monetary gain through the publication of this resource. Nor can I expect to gain any personal fame through it without compromising my anonymity. Consequently, I think the whole notion of "copyright" is useless to me in the construction of this blog, and I renounce it.

I hereby waive copyright in all original work I have created in this blog to date. I also waive copyright in future work in this blog, up until such time, if any, as I announce a new copyright policy.

No comments: