Current Status

This blog is not frequently updated because most case-by-case scam reports are now listed in subordinate blogs. At this point in time, most of my efforts are targeted at documenting employment scams in the Suckers Wanted blog.

2005-04-09

Meta: Current Interests

Recently I've received an incessant stream of PayPal phish. This has become tedious to the point that I don't even care to mention it anymore. I'm somewhat inclined to feel that way about phishing in general, but PayPal phish is definitely off the menu until further notice due to sheer excess of quantity.

I also delete without comment any spam that's hawking medication, software, or loans. With particular regards to software, yes, it's deceptive, but it's the same old lie every time. They offer to sell cheap software, when in actual practice they are selling unlicensed ("pirated") software. If you really want to obtain unlicensed software (and run the various risks associated with it, legal and otherwise), then there are much cheaper ways to do it. My personal recommendation is that you either suck it up and pay full price from a reputable source, or break the habit and start looking into solving your computing needs with genuinely free software. No further comment.

I'm still interested in reporting the latest 419 lies, stock manipulation scams, and deceptive job offers, along with those things that are actually new or unusual and therefore interesting. And I will continue to report any Internet practice that strikes a loud, dissonant cluster of pipe-organ notes in my ethics-sensitive regions.

No comments: